Visit Map

Saturday, 9 January 2016

Road bridge over line at Triholm, Koo Wee Rup to Strzelecki Line

This bridge is famous for being in a derelict condition. The bridge carried the Main South Road over the Koo Wee Rup to Strzelecki Line at Triholm. Sadly, Triholm, as a township, has ceased to exist these days, it is now known as Poowong East. Triholm was originally settled in 1877 as a Danish village, as the first photo proclaims.

Someone in the area painted the side of a shed, which stands on the old ROW, roughly in the vicinity of the station, with a mural to remember the train.

Nothing remains of this bridge today, although the point where the line crossed the road is marked by a sign saying this was the alignment of the line.

This first photo of the bridge was taken at Easter 1940, from the western side of the bridge, or up side, looking east.

Photo by Wal Larsen
The second photo was taken in January 1965, by now the bridge is ruined and out of commission. The Main South Road has been shifted to the level on the eastern side of the bridge.

Photo by Des Jowett
The third photo was taken in 1986, the bridge has deteriorated slightly more. You can just see the Main South Road on the bottom right of the shot.

Photo by Darren Hodges
This photo is taken from the same vantage point as Darren's, but recently. The ROW can be seen curving away to the right to the Triholm station site. The earthen embankment on the right is still there, but the one on the left has been nibbled away.

This is the remains of the embankment that carried the Main South Road up to the bridge, the shot is just to the left of the previous shot.

And a view looking in the down direction from the opposite side of the road, the slight ROW embankment is right under the two cattle.

After this point, the line curved around and crossed Waterfall Road by a bridge, ran along the side of a hill, then crossed Waterfall Road again, and also the Lang Lang River at the same time. It then ran into relatively inaccessible country on the final section up to Strezelecki, crossing Waterfall Creek via a very nice wooden bridge.

It is unusual that not one atom of bridge remains today along the entire length of this line, every one has been completely erased from the landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment